1995-09-07 - Re: University logging mail to anon.penet

Header Data

From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder@janet.advsys.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27cc78621224413447859baf6f2bd3ad382c197c8ecb16c87cebd20262ff684c
Message ID: <199509070454.AAA19936@janet.advsys.com>
Reply To: <Pine.ULT.3.91.950906230159.23134A-100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-07 04:53:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 21:53:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder@janet.advsys.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 21:53:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: University logging mail to anon.penet

hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu said:
> I'd say that there are some serious ethical and legal concerns that
> should be addressed by the administration for keeping such logs...

Ethical I would definately agree with.

Legally, I'm not so sure of. The applicable law would appear to be the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986. The law does allow
administrators to see messages in the normal course of their job, as long as
they don't reveal that information to a 3rd party (except law enforcement in
the event of a criminal act)

This protection is probably strongest with a company you purchase Internet
Service from, probably lesser so with a University, since there is less
obviously a customer/seller relationship, and almost non-existant with a
business, since there isn't a customer relationship, and the systems are owner
by the business.

Bob

Thread