1995-09-28 - Re: Using sound cards to accelerate RSA?

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3ce7ddcc88e87b8027960e527ad07a34c1d28a76fbd017a3b176c32d0ae863d4
Message ID: <199509282017.NAA20380@servo.qualcomm.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 13:17:47 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 13:17:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Using sound cards to accelerate RSA?

>Somebody mentioned the possibility of using the a/d stage of a sound card
>as a source of random bits, and that brought a thought back to mind:
>given that a lot of sound cards are now shipping with DSP chips on board,
>has anyone written any code that uses the cards DSP to accelerate RSA
>processing?

But most sound cards still don't have DSP chips. And modern general
purpose CPUs are beginning to give them such a good run for their money
that I wonder whether DSPs will ever become widespread.

I'd stick with running RSA on the main CPU for now.

Phil

Thread