1995-09-21 - RE: Patents and trade secrets

Header Data

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks’” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 3e85f1552cff7baf6729868afddc96e09debf1aced41dc725edc9fe2830f6d84
Message ID: <3061045B@hamachi>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 23:23:30 PDT

Raw message

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 23:23:30 PDT
To: "'cypherpunks'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Patents and trade secrets

> > Many technologies have both patented parts and trade secret parts.
 Often,
> > companies will maintain information that is in patent applications as
trade
> > secret until they are granted.  I guess I should say _if_ they are
granted!

> But don't they have to put something on the patent application?  Can they
> claim trade secret status for something that was on a patent application,
> but rejected?  That seems like they're getting it both ways.  They should
> probably have to choose whther or not they want to show anyone their
> "secret".  If not, it stays a trade secret.  If so, it's not a secret
anymore,
> and they hope it's "nonobvious, etc." enough to be granted a patent.

Sure, they have to put their "best mode" of performing their invention into
the patent application.  While the patent is pending (at least in the US),
the patent application is confidential, so if the patent is denied, or if
the patent is not as broad as the inventor would have liked, they can
withdraw the application without the information contained in it ever
becoming public.  In Europe, publication occurs automatically after 18
months, so the inventor has less time there to make a go/no go decision, but
they can still do it.

In some respects, the existing system gives you most of what you want -- if
you can't get patent protection for an idea, you can fall back on trade
secret protection (which you didn't have to give up just to try to get a
patent).  It seems pretty harsh to me that just making a stab at getting a
patent would mean that all of your hard work could just slip away into the
public domain if it wasn't quite up to snuff.  Sure would make me swallow
hard....

dvw

Thread