1995-09-29 - SOFTWARE: Filtering ads out of popular web sites

Header Data

From: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 484883c7465f910a86fe1d54eeb311ce6b8272ef5fc422b555d1fdf2a8fac3a3
Message ID: <199509292107.RAA25904@grape-nuts.ai.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 14:07:33 PDT

Raw message

From: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 14:07:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: SOFTWARE: Filtering ads out of popular web sites

On the subject of HTTP proxies,

[SEVERAL FWD'S DELETED, ENTERTAINING SUBJECTS RETAINED]

- - - Begin forwarded message - - -

Subject: The agents/advertising arms race heats up
Subject: OH YEAH BABY, FILTER ME HARDER

>From: Axel Boldt <boldt@math.ucsb.edu>
>Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.announce
>Subject: SOFTWARE: Filtering ads out of popular web sites

Several popular web sites have recently turned to putting advertising
gifs on their pages. NoShit is a tool that filters these out so that
you don't see them - in fact, you don't even download them in the
first place, thus saving time, money and brain capacity.

NoShit is implemented as a set of patches against Cern httpd to turn
it into a "filtering proxy server". This means that the proxy
maintains a list of URL templates together with corresponding filter
scripts. When a document is requested form the proxy that matches one
of the templates, then the page is piped through the corresponding
script before being presented to the client. This works together with
caching, if desired.

The idea is to run your own personalized NoShit proxy server and point
your browser to it. The proxy does the filtering; the browser doesn't
even know about it. This scheme works with every browser.

I have written a ready-to-use library of filter scripts for a couple
of well known, ad-infected sites, including Yahoo, Lycos, Netscape,
HotWired, CNN, Infoseek and NandO Times. You can change these or add
your own very easily.

Locations:
            <URL:http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/NoShit/>
                (Germany)