1995-09-08 - Jimmy Upton’s T-shirt (NIST’s 9/6-7/95 meetings)

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@TIS.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5041cb6c957828b14fa18f0047486546c4982f7f2d8955b1629e2f51f73b505c
Message ID: <9509081402.AA09452@tis.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 07:27:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@TIS.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 07:27:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Jimmy Upton's T-shirt (NIST's 9/6-7/95 meetings)

The meetings included break-out groups, each of which had a moderator (mine
was from NSA -- were they all?) and each of which had a recorder who would
then report to the entire assembled group.

Jimmy was a recorder once -- one of the last to report on the second day.
Nearly every person speaking from industry started his remarks with the
same disclaimer:

	My comments on these criteria should not be taken as
	an endorsement of the concept of key escrow

Jimmy Upton, rather than start his report with that disclaimer, suggested
that perhaps we should have T-shirts made for conference attendees stating:
"My comments on these criteria...."  The crowd broke up in laughter and
applause.

Speaking of applause -- the assembled audience was relatively passive
through most of the presentation -- but whenever someone expressed
opposition to the whole concept of GAK, the entire auditorium applauded.
Specifically -- I was sitting near the civil liberties group (ACLU, EPIC,
VTW, ...) and they applauded but it came from all over the auditorium.
There were some who didn't -- the gov't folks, a few industry folks, ....

 - Carl

P.S.  I've put a few additions on my home page, in response to this
meeting.

 |Carl M. Ellison    cme@acm.org    http://www.clark.net/pub/cme/home.html  |
 |PGP: E0414C79B5AF36750217BC1A57386478 & 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2  |
 |  ``Officer, officer, arrest that man!  He's whistling a dirty song.''    |

Thread