1995-09-20 - Re: MIME

Header Data

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
To: shields@tembel.org
Message Hash: 571864cc498889457169bef4da297f41c0be12a8743b492956baa505e15800d1
Message ID: <9509201612.AA13835@cantina.verity.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:15:45 PDT

Raw message

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:15:45 PDT
To: shields@tembel.org
Subject: Re: MIME

> : Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
>
> I think that it must be the content-type that is causing problems, as
> the rest of the message is completely standard.  To the people whose
> mailers broke out in hives at that message: Do you get the same behavior
> with any message having an unknown content-type?
> --
> Shields.

I've only ever seen the problem with Content-Type: application/pgp using
Sun's mailtool.  I don't know that I've ever gotten mail with unknown
Content-Type though...wait let me whip some up...

Mailtool assumes anything with a content type is an attachment.  The
type is used as the name of the attachment.  A Content-Type: of
application/foo or of just foo both yeild an attachment named foo.

Patrick
  /  These opinions are mine, and not Verity's (except by coincidence;).  \
 |  Patrick J. Horgan         Verity Inc.                 \\    Have       |
 |  patrick@verity.com        1550 Plymouth Street         \\  _ Sword     |
 |  Phone : (415)960-7600     Mountain View                 \\/    Will    |
 |  FAX   : (415)960-7750     California 94303             _/\\     Travel |

Thread