1995-09-22 - Re: economic espionage (@#$%^&*) (fwd)

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
Message Hash: 599da86c568c32d7184b7c871634276fd16ef49252566a42ff56b140265c77ae
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950922005006.16886A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <199509220334.WAA02419@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 04:52:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 21:52:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 21:52:19 PDT
To: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: economic espionage (@#$%^&*) (fwd)

On Thu, 21 Sep 1995, Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

Not all agents are agents provocateur.  Human Intelligence is often
required to determine if the criteria you cite above are present.

> > 'The White House Office on Science and Technology estimates losses to U.S.
> > businesses from foreign economic espionage at nearly one hundred billion
> > dollars per year.'
> >

> What are its estimates on what US business gains with its present industrial
> espionage infrastructure? Without these numbers the quoted above are
> useless.

The distinction is in the difference between private and government
sponsored espionage and intelligence.

Most of the French activity is, for example, government sponsored.  As is
most of the Japanese activity.  U.S. activity is mostly private, by
corporations and such.

I believe the numbers above are quite helpful really, in identifying
scope, and demonstrating a need for counterespionage.

>                                                Jim

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread