1995-09-26 - RE: More on “Entropy”

Header Data

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks’” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 5ccd43df7b030244f7365ba8c44d038deb848c7bf4d03eeb81f6b46dc85f5f98
Message ID: <30687699@hamachi>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 14:56:30 PDT

Raw message

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 14:56:30 PDT
To: "'cypherpunks'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: More on "Entropy"

Timothy C. May wrote:

>Hah! Another physicist converted to the information-theoretic view of
entropy!

Indeed.  I was able to track down the literature, and it is most
interesting.  I am still a little bit skeptical of the "superset including
thermodynamic entropy" school of thought, but I haven't finished reading all
of the materials yet!  Clearly, the IT "version" of entropy is a well
defined and useful thing....

>I should've pointed out in my reading list that several names stand out in
>this interpretation:

I'll read with that endoresement in mind.  Your thoughts on rigorous,
_concise_, design criteria for sources of entropy would be appreciated
(unless there is good quality work in the literature I haven't come to yet).

dvw

Thread