1995-09-20 - Commercial RSAref

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 71921bd3c00d48272f4797e51c7a494debfdfba1023f99d17a338ccf3362d75b
Message ID: <199509200406.AAA01221@homeport.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 21:06:32 PDT

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 21:06:32 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Commercial RSAref

	First off, let me congratulate you on inking this deal.  I hope that this
will make a lot of interesting things possible, now that there is an RSAref
toolkit outside the US, and also for commercial use in the US.

	I have a few questions, which I hope you can answer publically.

	Will there be a public, standard fee schedule?  Many companies would like to
be able to use RSA technology for a fee, and would like to know what that fee
is without having to explain their plans in great detail to RSA.  I know
people who would like to be able to say, heres a check, we're shipping
software using RSAref to 5000 desktops.

	Will you be adding access points to the software?  I know that PGP required
new interfaces, previously unpublished, and that use of unpublished interfaces
was also a problem RSA had with Wei Dai's excellent Crypto++ library.

Adam

Jonathan Zamick wrote:

| Well I've vaccilated between making a formal, dry announcement or
| letting you all know my way. Given the general tenor (and individual
| spirit) of many on Toad it is pretty easy to guess which path I chose.

| So, first of all, here is to a productive future for encryption and
| encryption technologies. Consensus Development and RSA Data Security,
| have finalized the contract for Consensus to license and support
| RSAREF(tm) for commercial use.

| Lastly, we would like to hear suggestions and ideas on how to improve
| RSAREF. We intend to remain responsive to requests, and welcome ideas
| for the evolution of the RSAREF toolkit.
					               -Hume

Thread