1995-09-25 - Re: Crypto in Wired

Header Data

From: stevenw@iglou.com (Steven Weller)
To: steven ryan <sryan@reading.com>
Message Hash: 773fd46ebfbc6711208c82ad89a088097b041e61c8697073cb00ca8fc8cc92b3
Message ID: <v01530500ac8bc31dd0aa@[199.171.88.78]>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 18:28:23 PDT

Raw message

From: stevenw@iglou.com (Steven Weller)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 18:28:23 PDT
To: steven ryan <sryan@reading.com>
Subject: Re: Crypto in Wired

>Good issue of Wired this month (10/95)
>
>Vic Sussman has a half page on PGPfone. Asked why he's giving away PGPfone
>with an inditement hanging over his head Zimmermann says "... I am a
>cryptographer. This is what I do".

You need the full quote to get the real effect:

<<Why is Zimmermann giving away voice-crypto when the feds are still
dangling an indictment over his head? "Because it's still legal for
Americans to hold a private conversation," he says. "And because I'm a
crypographer. This is what I do.">>

That is a remarkably concise, intelligent, informative, unequivocal, savvy,
and personal statement. Hats off to PZ (or whoever told him to say that).

Steven Weller                      |  "The Internet, of course, is more
+1 415 390 9732                    |  than just a place to find pictures
                                   |  of people having sex with dogs."
stevenw@iglou.com                  |       -- Time Magazine, 3 July 1995

Thread