1995-09-22 - Re: “Gnusaic”? Why not a Gnu-Style Web Browser?

Header Data

From: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78041fa9266cb826f27b54d15e167db2c0473f43f0271b47133612b3a01e454e
Message ID: <m0svxOg-000772C@servalan.servalan.com>
Reply To: <ac87162a440210044474@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 02:06:20 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 19:06:20 PDT

Raw message

From: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 19:06:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Gnusaic"? Why not a Gnu-Style Web Browser?

In servalan.mailinglist.cypherpunks Tim May writes:
>Why not a Gnu-style Web browser? I don't know if the original Mosaic can be
>used and added to, but I can imagine something like this could be done.

Um, if you mean "freely distributable, in source form" by "Gnu-style",
I don't think there's much of a shortage of Gnu-style WWW browsers and servers.
Lynx and Chimera are my two favorite WWW browsers, and both come in source form.
Then there's w3.el, the WWW browser for Emacs.   As for Web servers, you can
get the source code for Plexus or CERN httpd off the net.  Plus, doesn't
Eric Young have someone's httpd already hacked to include SSL-compliant
encryption?

The question becomes why don't the free WWW software people out there now
support crypto?  Maybe they're simply not expert in or interested in crypto,
or maybe they don't want to mess with the ITAR hassles.

Thread