1995-09-25 - Re: Decompiling Netscape

Header Data

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Message Hash: 8041680a4f7ab49edf541cf1077a0c205da27b0b85f5a484b01829354860de2f
Message ID: <9509251604.AA28123@cfdevx1.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199509221732.NAA17523@clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-25 16:56:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 09:56:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 09:56:22 PDT
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Subject: Re: Decompiling Netscape

    From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
    Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:32:57 -0400 (EDT)

       Anyone want to lend me a hand in finding and disassembling the
    routine responsible for the buffer overflow in Netscape? Or atleast
    tell me how you did it. (I hope it wasn't done by single stepping thru
    functions in GDB) I missed the whole Netscape RNG decompilation
    thread. You could win a T-shirt for your help!

Under Unix, you can use objdump, e. g.

 % objdump -d netscape

 netscape:     file format a.out-sunos-big

 No symbols in "netscape".
 Disassembly of section .text:
 00002020 clr  %fp
 00002024 ld  [ %sp + 0x40 ], %o0
 00002028 add  0x44, %sp, %o1
 0000202c sll  %o0, 2, %o2
 00002030 add  4, %o2, %o2
 00002034 add  %o1, %o2, %o2
 . . .

This should work wherever other GNU utilities work.  objdump is part
of GNU binutils.

--
Rick Busdiecker                        Please do not send electronic junk mail!
 net: rfb@lehman.com or rfb@cmu.edu    PGP Public Key: 0xDBD9994D

Thread