1995-09-14 - Re: cryptography eliminates lawyers?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: Dar Scott <dsc@swcp.com>
Message Hash: 90d86b2cf7243f2f90cf5737549994df98eab0b753aae9a07d3df7ea33f00953
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950914165321.24774A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <v01510107ac7db81f6880@[198.59.115.127]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-14 20:58:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 13:58:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 13:58:33 PDT
To: Dar Scott <dsc@swcp.com>
Subject: Re: cryptography eliminates lawyers?

On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, Dar Scott wrote:

> Black Unicorn wrote,

[...]

> >> Perhaps, I could have use the phrases "non-coercion-based" licensing and
> >> "coercion-based" licensing, but I am not comfortable with these--trade
> >> licensing invokes too violent of an image.
> >
> >I think this construction is still flawed.  I will remain by my position
> >that licensing is useful when not used to collect taxes or
> >otherwise overregulate.  I also hold that the distinctions you make
> >between licensing and certification are without functional difference in
> >effect and are deceptive in that they suggest a significant difference in
> >effect or purpose where there is none.
> >
> The difference in effect is in emergent market optimization.  The
> difference in purpose is ethical.
>
> I have learned that you--and perhaps others--do not see an important
> difference in these two styles of influencing behavior.  I see a major
> difference and in thinking the difference was obvious was slow in
> understanding your position.

I think I understand your position now.

To me there is little difference in how one is persuaded against one's
will.  Certainly I dislike violence, but some of the "persuasive" methods
in a market economy sicken me just as much as force might.

In any event, your construction makes sense to me, even if I do not find
it useful myself.

> Great.  You're already enjoying breakfast and I still have to go to bed.

I hate time zones.