1995-09-01 - Re: O.J. ObCrypto: Fuhrman’s Folly Fans Fakery Fears…

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
Message Hash: 9cc048482ee8f492303ad925a778737911cf1da378108c41e9e273ebf6a8c88f
Message ID: <9509011452.AA15088@l-slide.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <v02130506ac6c253a5e59@[166.84.254.3]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-01 14:52:59 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 07:52:59 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 07:52:59 PDT
To: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Subject: Re: O.J. ObCrypto: Fuhrman's Folly Fans Fakery Fears...

> I do not think that PGP 2.x can easily (ie: Automatically) use one key for
> Signing and another for Encrypting a Message (it does both at the same time
> if you ask). If I "Clear Sign" a message and then Encrypt it, then I get
> the result but I'm not sure if doing the decrypt on such a message will
> automatically spot the signature and verify it (as would occur with a E+S
> pass).

Sure it can, and I know people who do.  Here is what you do:

1) Generate two keys.  First generate your encryption key, then
generate your signature key.  This way, your signature key will be
placed first in your secret keyring, and it will be used by default.
Alternatively, you could use two (slightly) different userIDs on the
keys and put something in your config.txt

2) Extract the keys in reverse order into a single keyfile and then
distribute that keyfile to people.  This way, when it gets added to
other people's keyrings, the encryption key will be placed first, and
that will be used by default.

3) Proceed to use PGP normally.  When you sign a message, it will find
the signature key first and use that.  When someone wants to encrypt
to you, they will find the encryption key first.  When verifying the
signature or trying to decrypt the message, it uses the keyID to
determine which key was used, so order does not matter.

The only problem is that if someone re-orders their keyring then this
will no longer work.  E.g., if the keys are added in the wrong order.

-derek

Thread