1995-09-02 - Re: MIT distributing PGPfone -Reply

Header Data

From: terrell@sam.neosoft.com (Buford Terrell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a96b88325c483098bb4cb59b041f3b9970a7b8a7140d0433f44c8f960ce74040
Message ID: <199509022301.SAA00324@sam.neosoft.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Sep 95 15:51:31 PDT

Raw message

From: terrell@sam.neosoft.com (Buford Terrell)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 95 15:51:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: MIT distributing PGPfone -Reply

>PGPfone was out of the U.S. less than 3 hours after first appearing
>publically at the MIT site.
>
>As I noted in a previous message, MIT takes various steps to ostensibly
>protect against export, but there is clearly no practical means of stopping
>export once the software has been received by someone.
>
>I got my copy of PGPfone 16 hours after its public release, via an
>anonymous person who posted it on the Cypherpunks list through an anonymous
>remailer. Of course that list is distributed to more than 20 foreign
>countries, so "export" happened that way, as well as by other means.
>
>--Tim May

As tim May's .sig should say: "National borders are not even
speed bumps on the information highway."

Buford C. Terrell                       1303 San Jacinto Street
Professor of Law                              Houston, TX 77002
South Texas College of Law                voice   (713)646-1857
terrell@sam.neosoft.com                     fax   (713)646-1766

Thread