1995-09-11 - GAK/weak crypto rationale?

Header Data

From: “P.J. Ponder” <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ab4d003bb03df52580dc55e9d686f23f910cec8b95465d9679aaa913ffe28e40
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9509102345.F11334-0100000@wane3.scri.fsu.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Sep 95 20:43:52 PDT

Raw message

From: "P.J. Ponder" <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 95 20:43:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: GAK/weak crypto rationale?

After reviewing the reports filed by our intrepid reporters in the field
about the NIST meetings, I am left with a puzzling thought:  Why are the
NSA and the FBI so very keen on GAK and weak crypto?  There was posted on
this list some time back a statistic about the number of wiretaps and
intercepts requested and authorized in the past year.  As I recall, the
number was quite small - around 12K [?].  Someone had found this out
through an FOIA request, perhaps, (my recollection of it is poor). It was
not a large number, anyway.  I must conclude that the actual number of
intercepts is much, much larger than they are saying, and that they must
be getting what they perceive to be good intel from all this snooping.

Otherwise, why would the NSA and the FBI be so gung-ho on this, when
everyone is telling them it is bad for US software business, abhorrent to
privacy rights, unenforceable, and just plain bone-headed in these new
international geodesic network times?

--
PJ
p.s. -thanks for the reports, well done. I think most of the list readers

Thread