1995-09-20 - Re: Cypherpunks Press release

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aca4650a2768bbd5633d74f7c6248bcf484d2faabac548ba1c89d325c746ab5d
Message ID: <ac85a0d02f0210048d00@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 10:43:54 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 10:43:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks Press release

At 4:28 PM 9/20/95, Dietrich J. Kappe wrote:

>We've seen the word "hacker" kicked around rather arbitrarily in the press.
>Are we to conclude that the cypherpunks are a bunch of hackers? I think its
>time for some cypherpunks spin. How about a logo *and* a press release? The
>press release would give contacts (email, phone, etc.) so that someone on
>this list would be contacted by journalists when a crypto story breaks.
>
>If we get enough volunteers, we can fax blanket every newspaper, station,
>and network in the world.

I was of course being facetious about the putative "Cypherpunks logo."
Sorry I did not insert smileys.

The problem with the "Cypherpunks press release" notion is this:

-- we are an effective anarchy.

-- there is no "spokespunk" and no foreseeable way of choosing one.

Some people seem to _want_ some kind of central contact organization or
point, some place to lobby, buy advertising, send faxes, give press
conferences, etc.

But I don't see it happening.

Individuals and their organizations are free of course to do as they wish,
but if they claim to speak for "the Cypherpunks," they'll be out of line.

We are not a direct democracy, nor even are we a representative democracy.
No board of directors, etc.

While this undeniably affects how "messages" get out, that's life. There
are plenty of organizations with Washington offices, and with spokesmen
available for comment. But they don't have what we have.

--Tim May