1995-09-21 - Re: Encryption algorithms used in PrivaSoft (fwd)

Header Data

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks’” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: d08292e06ebc280bd3e0fae64ad2f3e13571108c7527ce83d914551792b9640f
Message ID: <3060D3B3@hamachi>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 20:47:52 PDT

Raw message

From: David Van Wie <dvw@hamachi.epr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 20:47:52 PDT
To: "'cypherpunks'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Encryption algorithms used in PrivaSoft (fwd)

Ian Goldberg writes:
> Waitasec...  I was under the impression that if you patented it, you had
> reveal it.  That's why RC4 isn't patented (it used to be a trade secret).

Many technologies have both patented parts and trade secret parts.  Often,
companies will maintain information that is in patent applications as trade
secret until they are granted.  I guess I should say _if_ they are granted!
 After a patent is granted, it is usually a good idea to also maintain some
trade secrets in your products -- since trade secrets never "expire," unlike
patents.  If the patent isn't granted, you still have the option of treating
the contents as an intellectual property under trade secret protection.

dvw

Thread