1995-09-21 - Re: Please send me SSL problems…

Header Data

From: Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
To: “Erik E. Fair” <fair@clock.org>
Message Hash: d09dd7d0a37d25fbf3486be24dc89cb491686155fea3bf5c99235756bc0b82f8
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.950921150731.23836F-100000@orb>
Reply To: <v02110104ac85a804545b@[204.179.132.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-21 05:24:52 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 22:24:52 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Young <eay@mincom.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 22:24:52 PDT
To: "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>
Subject: Re: Please send me SSL problems...

A few commnets from Tim Hudson who has put SSL into telnet and ftp, he is
not on this list but since he is my personal 'put SSL into applications'
person (I just write the library :-), I felt his comments would be better
than mine :-)

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> Jeff, the SSL specification has a severe *architectural* problem - it
> assumes that Internet Protocols are APIs - interface standards, and that
> You can't fiddle with a communication protocol without getting agreement
> from everyone about the change, or extend it in a way that is compatible
> with the protocol you're modifying, on a per-protocol basis (e.g. adding a
> TELNET negotiation option to TELNET for encryption, an FTP command to FTP,
> etc). Otherwise, all you've done is made a private, non-interoperable

[tjh]
I agree with this statement - application of SSL at the TCP level for all
communication is possible but *not* desirable in the general case - i.e.
for internet communication.

A much better approach (and the one that I have taken for adding SSL into
TELNET and FTP) is to use *existing* negotiation mechanisms for dynamically
switching on SSL for a given link based on determining dynamically if
the server you are connecting to will support it.

Naturally you want options at both the server and the client that enable
you to:
    - fall back to "normal/insecure" mode if SSL is not available
    - drop the connection in the client if SSL is not negotiated
    - drop the connection in the server if SSL is not negotiated

My aim was when adding SSL (in the form of SSLeay) into an existing server
was *always* to be able to run the *one* server for both the "old" and
the "new" protocol. I really was getting annoyed at seeing announcements
of yet-another-security package that could be installed that provided
another potentially insecure access path into the system that only supported
connecting to it with it's own fixed protocol.

SSL can be seen in it simpliest form as just a nice mechanism for
dynamically negotiating a *cipher* - this is how I initially set things
up so that the "normal" authentication mechanisms had to still be used
for connection - i.e. SSLtelnet still required the normal account password
to get access. This has since been "enhanced" so that you can switch on
an option that uses a certificate exchange as the security
access mechanism (this is not switched on by default).

For TELNET the "best" place to start seemed to be the work done with
SRATELNET ... it already had all the hooks in the right places for
using the RFC-defined TELNET extensions that enabled negotiation of
authentication and encryption. (the documentation that came with SRAtelnet
was also nice and clear too).

For FTP there was a similar was of doing things so I used it too ... and
FTP is a *great* example of a protocol where doing things at the TCP
level (tranparently) would be "bad" - it used two ports ... one of which is
usually dynamically allocated ... and you certainly don't want to
redo the initial SSL negotiation for each file that you transfer!
(SSLftp reuses the session ID).

Another thing that is worth noting (and worth looking at too) is the
different API offered in SSLREF and SSLeay (... naturally I prefer SSLeay
as I have influence over the author ;-) ... From what I know of the SSLREF
API, it takes the approach of providing wrapper functions that you use
*instead* of the "normal"  functions ... there is (not using the right
names) SSLaccept and SSLconnect that you use that perform the accept() and
connect() along with all the other things required in the SSL protocol
being hidden which sounds nice until you want to do something like FTP ...
where the connection for the DATA socket is formed in the opposite
direction to the CONTROL socket - with SSLeay you do the accept() and
connect() yourself ... as per normal and then run SSL_accept() or
SSL_connect() which does the "logical" SSL stuff ... so in FTP I can do a
connect() and then an SSL_accept() which looks funny but is the "right"
thing to do.  SSLeay has only 2 function calls that operate on socket
file descriptors, a singe read() and a single write().  The most recent
version will handle non-blocking IO if the application passes a file
desciptor with it turned on.  SSLeay does not do a single
setsockopt(), ioctl(), fcntl(), accept(), bind(), select() etc.

If you haven't looked at SSLeay or looked and the SSL protocol itself then
you really should grab it and have a read (while ignoring the politics
and the WWW hype over SSL).

Tim

[eay]
While there are problems with certificate distribution, this will be
overcome.  Ever tried general inter-realm authentication with Kerberos?

Both SSLref and SSLeay interoperate.  From what I know of the SSLref API,
our API's are quite different.  Just because SSLref may 'force' you
towards a particular style of SSL use does not mean the protocol forces
you to use it this way.

eric
Standard billboard

http://www.psy.uq.oz.au/~ftp/Crypto/
ftp.psy.uq.oz.au:/pub/Crypto/SSL/
ftp.psy.uq.oz.au:/pub/Crypto/SSLapps/

--
Eric Young                  | Signature removed since it was generating
AARNet: eay@mincom.oz.au    | more followups than the message contents :-)

Thread