1995-09-04 - Re: The Dangers of Caribbean Data Havens

Header Data

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: e3950fe9cd3fc172931e6ef64504007ecdece6d046528cea8a89bad1eaddde7c
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950904162332.20551D-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <ac70802208021004b5e3@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-04 20:31:43 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Sep 95 13:31:43 PDT

Raw message

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 95 13:31:43 PDT
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: The Dangers of Caribbean Data Havens

On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> >From Bruce Sterling in "Islands in the Net" to various reports of data
> havens and Internet services being set up by actual people, there has been
> much speculation about using Caribbean islands for data havens.
>
> But the infrastructure has been lacking. Low-bandwidth inter-island links.
[...]
> Personally, I think a distributed system based on crypto is a more robust
> approach, the "Libertaria in Cyberspace" view I've talked about.

For legal purposes, perhaps, set up shop on the Islands.

Then have a site somewhere else -- backup of your corporate system,
nothing more.  And, of course, a net connection -- all for redundancy's sake.

If your Euro/American site is merely a mirror of a legal site in another
country, and you're the same organization, would it be legal?

Hmmmm... this all still needs work...
Jon
Jon Lasser                <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>            (410)494-3072
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.

Thread