1995-09-03 - Re: Direct Socket to Remailer?

Header Data

From: bigdaddy@ccnet.com
To: Cybie@cris.com
Message Hash: e4a5ae1187992b2bc7140efb7b7b40dc56b440123436f455ae2b0ad3320e0f51
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950903090122.13715B-100000@ccnet3>
Reply To: <9509030907.AA04231@mariner.cris.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-03 17:09:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Sep 95 10:09:37 PDT

Raw message

From: bigdaddy@ccnet.com
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 95 10:09:37 PDT
To: Cybie@cris.com
Subject: Re: Direct Socket to Remailer?

On Sun, 3 Sep 1995 Cybie@cris.com wrote:

> Before you do it, make sure your ISP doesn't mind you telneting to port 25.
> VCU's computer dept. doesn't take to kindly to it.  They're worried about
> people sending forged e-mail.  (I was tempted to tell the guy when I got
> caught doing it that they should put a copy of PGP online for folks to use.
> But I just wanted my account re-instated.)

	CMU's systems, for instance, are nice enough to explicitly warn
you 'Mis-identifying the sender is an abuse of computing resources.' on
their machines' port 25. I take this to imply that they don't take kindly
to such use of their machines by students or non-students...but
what they would do to a non-CMU student is not clear. Come to think of
it, would there be legal issues involved in forging e-mail addresses? Can
one have a reasonable expectation of identity in ordinary e-mail?
Probably not. How about mail authenticated with PGP, RIPEM, Notes, or
a similar system?

We've seen key certification by VeriSign, among others...and, if we assume a
certification structure which requires checking the True Name of the
person, then we have a link between the key and the identity. All well
and good.

If we add key escrow to this certification structure, or require a True
Name for *all* keys, then one could have
'identity escrow'...a situation in which pseudonymous keys can be
created and distributed with certification that they really belong to a
(presumably unique) True Name. In the example of a bank with anonymous
officers, their identities might be held by another
organization(oversight committee, industry certification authority,
etc.), and revealed in the event of an investigation.

Doesn't VeriSign already sign 'Personality Certificates'(sorry if not the
right term) for pseudonymous IDs?

Obviously, setting and enforcing limits on keys per person, should that
be desirable, could be difficult. In the simplest case of one verified
key and identity per person, an entity who can satisfy the verification
process multiple times can be issued multiple keys. If there are a number
of independent Certification Authorities, and assuming they don't
cross-check, one could get as many keys as there are CAs. Lag time
between, say, the Dhahran, Saudi Arabia office of the CA and the rest of
the structure might also allow for two or more keys at once.

There's probably a dozen different ways to fool a CA or group of CAs.
Unfortunately, they're likely to be so difficult, and the penalties
severe enough(e.g. permanent revocation of all keys with a particular
CA), that few will use them.

I wonder if this sort of "feature" is already on tap for a Government
Certification Authority in the U.S.. If pseudonymity is offered at
all(perhaps as a
sort of compromise), it seems reasonable that any State-sponsored CA
would insist on identity escrow. The next logical step, of course, would
be to subordinate, discredit, or outlaw other CAs, in order to minimize
the 'possibility' of 'evil criminals' using the 'national information
infrastructure' for 'nefarious acts of impersonation'.

Web-of-trust would probably still be legal. It would be absurdity to even
attempt to outlaw it, as one would hope the example of PGP has shown. One
might as well outlaw gossip.
Unfortunately, web-of-trust is rarely as extensive(at least for me) than
a full-blown certification hierarchy. It is certainly more work.

In effect, the State would reserve to itself the ability to certify keys
on a large scale, on its terms. Scary.

On the other hand, it could also make for some very interesting
situations...such as a pseudonymous identity, accredited by the State,
able to participate in elections, enter into binding contracts, and
telecommute to work. Again, making sure no one registers and votes
twice might be a bit of work. Perhaps down the line, such
an identity could run for office. The line 'I'm With Stupid'
takes on a whole new meaning...

David Molnar

P.S. Andrew L : Yes, I'm the same person you knew in
Houston! Have you received the mail I sent you?
-Haynow

Thread