1995-09-29 - Re: Ray Cromwell: Another Netscape Bug (and possible security (fwd)

Header Data

From: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e7c8b0f221f8c22491b2776c4e576f278c46379359acddbd0611ce46f12a0e5e
Message ID: <199509290559.WAA24563@infinity.c2.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 23:04:10 PDT

Raw message

From: sameer <sameer@c2.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 23:04:10 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ray Cromwell: Another Netscape Bug (and possible security (fwd)

Sender: Bugtraq List <BUGTRAQ@crimelab.com>
From: Neil Woods <neil@legless.demon.co.uk>
Subject:      Re: Ray Cromwell: Another Netscape Bug (and possible security
To: Multiple recipients of list BUGTRAQ <BUGTRAQ@crimelab.com>
              at Sep 25, 95 02:45:26 pm

> > >On my BSDI2.0 machine running Netscape 1.1N, this causes a segmentation
> > >fault and subsequent coredump. GDB reports nothing useable (stripped
> > >executable)
> >
> >   I cannot reproduce this bug on the following platforms:
> >
> >         Solaris 2.5 beta/Netscape 1.1N
>
> I've reproduced it fine under sol2.4 1.1N.  The page
> I tested from is http://www.aloha.net/~newsham/test.html.
> Simply click on the long test url and core dump.
> (You can view source before clicking to see what you
> are clicking on if you dont trust me :)
>
> > Howard Owen hbo@octel.com   Octel Communications Corporation  1024/DC671C31 =

Ive tried this url, it does indeed core dump.

Just had a quick look at the core.  From first impressions, it's a global
overwrite.  Therefore we're not overwriting a flushed stack frame, so a
syslog(3) style exploit is impossible.

Global overwrites can be exploited, but due to the scenario we're looking
at, I'd consider exploit chances to be very low indeed.

Cheers,

Neil
--
Let the Mystery Be, So Watcha Want, Longing In Their Hearts, Hate My Way,
M-Bike, Safari, Uncle June and Aunt Kiyoti, Daisy Dead Petals, Tuff Gnarl.

     ...like a badger with an afro throwing sparklers at the Pope...

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734

Thread