1995-09-12 - Re: Netscape to patch shareware version

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e9170a4976bded945c049c5331b2f56ab81d0311ca3de5626c42b60f69134341
Message ID: <199509122248.PAA21902@desiree.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 15:48:37 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 15:48:37 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape to patch shareware version

At 11:00 PM 9/12/95 +0200, you wrote:
>>| Netscape said it received word last week that the State Department had
>>| cleared that version for release on the Net, but only within the U.S.,
>>| owing to current export laws banning the export of encryption schemes
>>| stronger than 40 bits.  THe company could provide no details by press
>>| time on how it would ensure that the 128-bit version wouldn't leak beyond
>>| U.S. borders.
>>
>>Ok, any bet on how long it will take?
>
>It's already been exported.  Evidently, one of those who bought the
commercial >version sent it to Europe as soon as it was out.

The Netscape "personal edition" was available in Europe on some store
shelves soon after it's release.  (The PE edition of netscape has the 128
bit encryption.)

As for what Netscape will do in this case...  They had made plans to release
the 128 bit version in a method similar to what MIT uses, but they found
that they could actually get people to buy a copy if they kept that one as
only available by ordering it.  (Who says that people will not pay for
encryption?)  Now all they need to do is come out with a version with a
bigger key. (Hint, hint...)

I will keep my personal feelings about Netscape to a minimum here.  There
are certain things that they do well and there are others they do not.  But
those problems will continue to be forwarded to Dave Null...

Well, on to more profitable things.

>I note the site removed it, however, probably because Netscape Comm. Inc.
requested that they do so.  Netscape generally objects to anyone else
carrying their browser (.edu sites with prior permission excepted).

|  Minister of Forced Caffinization in the DNRC   | alano@teleport.com   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmerman unites all| Disclaimer:          |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!" | Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.6.2 key available on request --      |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano          |       <fnord>        |

Thread