1995-09-26 - Re: cypherpunks press releases/contact list: YES!! DO IT!!

Header Data

From: craig@passport.ca (Craig Hubley)
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: ec7b43b0fc1c3eca4701b03ca571e956175271440b331495ab66a8e681520c07
Message ID: <m0sxU3V-001BjIC@passport.ca>
Reply To: <199509202015.QAA05462@frankenstein.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-26 12:29:18 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 05:29:18 PDT

Raw message

From: craig@passport.ca (Craig Hubley)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 05:29:18 PDT
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: cypherpunks press releases/contact list: YES!! DO IT!!

> "Vladimir Z. Nuri" writes:
> > I'm going to argue against TCM and others who are opposed to a
> > "cypherpunk press release" because this is not an "organized group".
>
> Look, L. (may I call you L.?) --
>
> we've gone over this many times. We aren't a group. We're a mailing
> list. We've got a diversity of opinions, and we have no organization
> -- nor do we want one.

True enough, but there are sometimes rough consenses on technical questions,
and if it were clear enough that these were collective in nature and not to
be ascribed to any particular person, e.g.:

"Consensus on cypherpunks seems to be that 40 bit encryption is not viable
 for commercial applications, and that Netscape seems to have taken less
 than due care to choose an appropriate random seed for its session keys."

--
Craig Hubley                Business that runs on knowledge
Craig Hubley & Associates   needs software that runs on the net

Thread