1995-09-29 - Traveling abroad with laptops

Header Data

From: rajaram@morgan.com (P. Rajaram)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f20a8e6efef8c1bc51ed8a8d162545928c7462ff9a52d43a624bb7b78a25f99d
Message ID: <9509291202.ZM20738@morgan.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 09:02:46 PDT

Raw message

From: rajaram@morgan.com (P. Rajaram)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 95 09:02:46 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Traveling abroad with laptops

What would happen if I flew out of the US with a portable
computer that has crypto software (like PGP) installed ?
Assuming that I had no intention of distributing the software
abroad, would I be violating some US export law ?

Matt Blaze (?) had written about his humorous experience
in trying to do the right thing.  It seems that the US Govt.
does not seriously enforce its own export policies.  But
they may start doing so any time.  I am sure that today many
people regularly fly into Europe with crypto software,
without intending to break any laws.

At one point, I had heard that some sort of exception was
planned for export of crypto for personal use.  Does anyone
know if this is real or just a rumor ?

regards

-raj

Thread