1995-09-01 - Re: sums with BIG numbers

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rschp1.anu.edu.au>
Message Hash: f2943a26be06da1877aee086ffe44bf0cf779b943169b5a24ef09228e616a39e
Message ID: <199509010555.BAA25418@frankenstein.piermont.com>
Reply To: <9509010227.AA28294@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-01 05:56:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 22:56:24 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 22:56:24 PDT
To: Sherry Mayo <scmayo@rschp1.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: sums with BIG numbers

Sherry Mayo writes:
> Can anyone point me to any books, documentation or
> whatever that will explain the methods used in routines
> like bignum for doing sums with 'too-big' numbers.
>
> I'm having a tough time trying to figure it out from the code
> ;-(

The best book to read is, of course, Volume 2 of Knuth's "Art of
Computer Programming". Many of the algorithms in use today are a bit
snazzier but Knuth explains all the general principles of how such
things are done.

BTW, any good hacker should own all three published volumes. Its *the*
classic.

Perry

Thread