1995-09-20 - PGP back in legal limbo?

Header Data

From: hoz@univel.telescan.com (rick hoselton)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f373fb92f656a5930ea323407039aceac6e10dfff008871c2d9ec87a69ee297a
Message ID: <9509200359.AA07322@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 20:59:31 PDT

Raw message

From: hoz@univel.telescan.com (rick hoselton)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 20:59:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP back in legal limbo?

> WSJ, Sept 19, 1995.

> Cylink Claims Right To Key Technology Involving
> Encryption

> ... The arbitrators
> ruled that RSA hasn't had the right to sublicense the
> Stanford patents since 1990.

>Since PKP (and Bidzos, now president of
>RSA) always said that DH covered all public key encryption,
>it would seem that any RSA licensee would also need a license
>from Cylink.

So, I suppose this invalidates the RSA agreement that allows PGP to
be distributed?  What "fortunate" timing for the pro GAK folks! Okay,
everybody in US, erase your copies, before the Feral government comes
to get you.......
Rick F. Hoselton  (who doesn't claim to present opinions for others)

Thread