1995-09-07 - Re: Notes from NIS&T Key Escrow Export conference.

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: facba6b1664996531c6a91d376b6b1e7e4dd71c795421fb26616d553fe9155ef
Message ID: <9509071523.AA12261@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 08:23:13 PDT

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 08:23:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Notes from NIS&T Key Escrow Export conference.

>The last issue in the session was that the length of the key, 64-bits,
>was defined in criteria #1. There was no discussion at the conference on
>this criteria. It seems that the NIS&T and NSA folks believe that this is a
>closed topic. The folks in the session did not agree. They felt that 64-bits
>was not enough.

I hope this gets to you before the conference is over. I would REALLY
like to hear the government response to the question:

"If keys are escrowed, what purpose does a 64 bit limit serve?"

Secondarily, I observe that this apparently precludes the use of OTP.

Peter Trei
ptrei@acm.org

Thread