1995-10-13 - Re: what are these people selling????

Header Data

From: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 08074a56fe6d720739d65811e86ed11863ffcf39544c7346758161f58168e30b
Message ID: <v02120d13aca49c9c9e70@[199.2.22.120]>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 14:55:40 PDT

Raw message

From: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 14:55:40 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: what are these people selling????

>why is the cp meeting sponsored by sun?
>so we can hear a sales pitch on java?

Actually, the idea for the meeting came out of a discussion
at a party that Marianne and I attended last summer. Chip
Morningstar (one of the co-founders of Electric Communities)
and I were getting heavily into Java; also, my wife and I
were starting to write a crypto package for Java (JCrypt).

Subsequently, at a focus group meeting at Sun, we discovered
that practically all of us were on cypherpunks.

It's just a happy accident that discussion about Java has hit
a crescendo here on the list. I suggested to mrm that we have
it at Sun, since the warehouse loft space in SF where we've
been meeting, charming as it is, isn't a great spot for doing
presentations and would likely have capacity problems for this
topic.

So no, this is not some great conspiracy on Sun's part to
co-opt the list. You can return to your regularly scheduled
paranoid fantasies. Thank you....

Thread