1995-10-17 - Re: java flaw

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0e58245d9774914dc5410cb1fb9f1d2c135ecb2d3a973a550df3aaf7f90d6f50
Message ID: <199510171504.IAA17210@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 08:05:25 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 08:05:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: java flaw

At 06:59 AM 10/17/95 UTC, jerry the golden retriever wrote:
> A security feature in Java scans for viruses before activating the
> applet.

I hope that this is false.

Even if one had genuine artificial intelligence, it would be impossible
to detect all viruses, only particular viruses and classes of virus.

If Java is secure, virus scanning should be unnecessary, indeed
impossible, because there could be no code configuration capable
of acting as a virus.

If virus scanning occurs, then it is possible to write a virus in Java,
then Java is inherently insecure.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com