1995-10-01 - Re: Simple Hardware RNG Idea

Header Data

From: “W. Kinney” <kinney@bogart.Colorado.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1ecd2a27a73574ccf215f9da5ee290c25d9f1620cd70a0e03b451835a618e0cd
Message ID: <199510011918.NAA22758@bogart.Colorado.EDU>
Reply To: <199510011820.OAA27233@frankenstein.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-01 19:18:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 12:18:16 PDT

Raw message

From: "W. Kinney" <kinney@bogart.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 12:18:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Simple Hardware RNG Idea

Perry writes, regarding alpha decay counts for random numbers:

> And, as I noted, there are RS232 interfaceable radiation detectors you
> can buy off the shelf -- no hardware hacking needed.

As far as a radiation source goes, the Americium 241 source from a cheap
smoke detector is just dandy. A while ago, I took one into the lab and
put it on a scintillating counter and got alpha hits at roughly
half-microsecond intervals. It was a while ago, so I forget how this compared
to the rating in Curies on the package. But that would be fine for a
low-to-moderate bandwidth RNG.

                                    -- Will

Thread