1995-10-11 - Re: NYT on Internet Flaws

Header Data

From: David Berger <dvberger@eit.COM>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 2125d142bf88ceb6c43b6c3b81d3f946a61fb33738a4daafd3c08df75a9af7e1
Message ID: <199510111812.LAA21331@viper.eit.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 11:05:04 PDT

Raw message

From: David Berger <dvberger@eit.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 11:05:04 PDT
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: NYT on Internet Flaws

Just read through the stack of news this was based on (comp.security.unix)

The Berkeley folks rightly point out that if I trust an NFS to send me a
binary, then an interaction with the server sans authentication/encryption
can leave me with a compromised binary.  This is valid when I get my binary
from out on the net.  This seems much less valid when I live behind a
firewall and trust my fellow workers who have access to the server, the
wires coming out of my cube, and my whole machine for that matter.

As a result, the only thing I think this article should say is that we need
secure ftp.  Isn't this being worked on?

As for the article - 9/10 scaring people, 1/10 semi-fact.  Be serious?  NFS
is not the basic structure of the Internet.  I'm embarrassed that an article
so weak in its explanations and so high on fluff appeared on the front page
of a well respected newspaper.

Dave

-----the article for reread-------

Thread