1995-10-30 - Re: MD4-derived hash functions

Header Data

From: Childers James <ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu>
To: Mark <mark@lochard.com.au>
Message Hash: 216941c9b9589ebd402265ed05628ab63787e64204a52a580bedbf910d5118bd
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951029213809.15622A-100000@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Reply To: <199510300353.AA55657@junkers.lochard.com.au>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-30 04:15:16 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:15:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Childers James <ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:15:16 +0800
To: Mark <mark@lochard.com.au>
Subject: Re: MD4-derived hash functions

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Mark wrote:

> >The conclusion to take away from this is simple: double encryption
> >doesn't give you much extra security over single encryption.  Don't
> >use double encryption.
>
> That doesnt make sense. If one accepts that double encryption is securer than
> single encryption, wether marginally or twice as secure, why not use it?

Ah yes, but the vagarities of crypto don't lend themselves to real-world
analogies so easily. With crypto schemes, if you use double-encryption,
you effectively halve the amount of time needed to crack them. This is
because of the "man in the middle attack." Schneier talks about it in
Applied Crypto, and I am sure others on this list know the technical
details better than I.

What Schneier says has been proven to be secure is, instead, a triple
encryption scheme. Using two different keys, it goes something like this
(if memory serves):

	Cipertext = P1xorEK1 -> C1xorDK1 -> C2xorEK1

Where P1 is the plaintext, EK1 is encrypt key 1, and DK1 is decrypt key 1.

That doesn't look right the longer I consider it, but the basic idea is
there. Encrypt, decrypt, then encrypt again.

"Freedom is meaningless unless  | ic58@jove.acs.unt.edu - James Childers
 you can give to those with whom| No man's freedom is safe
 you disagree." - Jefferson     |    while Congress is in session
        EA 73 53 12 4E 08 27 6C   21 64 28 51 92 0E 7C F7

Thread