1995-10-27 - Re: Mark Twain Bank’s DigiCash offer

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: 22b74185f278e034a79635ece622d64ad4b7d8a92c6011608c16091c393e3eaf
Message ID: <9510271546.AA00580@ch1d157nwk>
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 01:55:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 01:55:29 +0800
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: Mark Twain Bank's DigiCash offer

Hal writes:
>  As far as I can tell there is no charge for moving funds between
>  your ecash wallet and the "mint" at the bank.  The charges are for
>  moving between the "mint" and the world access account.  If you
>  had a shop which was able to pay much of its expenditures in ecash
>  it sounds like there would be no percentage fee to the bank.

The gotcha being that as long as your money is in the "mint" it is not under
FDIC protection...  Just how safe your cash is when it is in the mint is
entirely related to the security of Mark Twain's systems, which are
high-profile machines that will surely be subjected to many cracking
attempts.  Some may prefer to keep complete control over their cash and store
all of it themselves.  Unlike physical cash, this stuff can be split up,
encrypted, and stored in multiple places, possibly offering more security
than the Mark Twain "mint."

andrew

Thread