1995-10-13 - New PA law (????)

Header Data

From: Tom Edwards <tedwards@access.digex.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3cf19a080f66aabbbee5825f6a5d6c83308d34d7b7c4f3b8f300e3c350d18041
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951013182341.10684B-100000@access5.digex.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:26:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Tom Edwards <tedwards@access.digex.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:26:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: New PA law (????)

[Can anyone provide more information on this?  I am still looking for the
original source to confirm/deny this.  Please pay special attention to
anti-anon-mailer deals]

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 15:21:00 -0700
To: zoetrope@infinet.com (cYberpUnc)
From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: applications
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

At 05:50 PM 10/13/95 -0400, you wrote:
>        I know this isnt what you guys generally talk about but I was curious.
>Off the top of your head do you know of any sites where I can get kracking
>apps for macs?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There are several fine tool companies on the Web who can sell you large hammers.
Check with Yahoo for locations.
#---
#                                       Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---

 the same person or several
   persons, may be aggregated in determining the grade of the offense.

   (d) Inferences.

   (1) Any person having possession of or access to the location of a
   public utility meter or service measuring device which has been
   avoided or tampered with so as to inhibit or prevent the accurate
   measurement of utility service and who enjoys the use of or receives
   the benefit from the public utility service intended to be metered or
   measured by the public utility meter or measuring device so avoided or
   tampered with may be reasonably inferred to have acted to avoid or
   tamper with the public utility meter or measuring device with the
   intent to obtain the public utility service without making full
   compensation therefor.

   (2) Any person having possession of or access to the location of the
   distribution or transmission lines or other facilities of a cable
   television system which have been tapped, altered or tampered with or
   to which any unauthorized connection has been made or to which any
   unauthorized device has been attached or any person having possession
   of or access to any device installed by a cable television system to
   which an unauthorized modification or alteration has been made, the
   result of which tapping, altering, tampering, connection, attachment
   or modification is to avoid payment for all or any part of the cable
   television service for which payment is normally required, and who
   enjoys the use of or receives the benefit from the cable television
   service, may be reasonably inferred to have acted to have tapped,
   altered, tampered with, connected or attached to or modified cable
   television facilities with the intent to obtain cable television
   service without making full compensation therefor. This inference
   shall not apply to the act of a subscriber to cable television
   service, who receives service through an authorized connection of a
   television receiving set at his dwelling, in making, within his
   dwelling, an unauthorized connection of an additional television
   receiving set or sets or audio system which receives only basic cable
   television service obtained through such authorized connection.

   (e) Sale or transfer of device or plan intended for acquisition or
   diversion.A person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree if
   he sells, gives or otherwise transfers to others or offers, advertises
   or exposes for sale to others, any device, kit, plan or other
   instructional procedure for the making of such device or a printed
   circuit, under circumstances indicating his having knowledge or reason
   to believe that such device, kit, plan or instructional procedure is
   intended for use by such others for the acquisition or diversion of
   services as set forth in subsections (a) and (b).

   (f) Restitution.The court may, in addition to any other sentence
   authorized by law, sentence a person convicted of violating this
   section to make restitution under section 1106 (relating to
   restitution for injuries to person or property) or 42 Pa.C.S.
   9721(c) (relating to sentencing generally).

   (g) Civil action.A telecommunication service provider aggrieved by a
   violation of this section may, in a civil action in any court of
   competent jurisdiction, obtain appropriate relief, including
   preliminary and other equitable or declaratory relief, compensatory
   and punitive damages, reasonable investigation expenses, costs of suit
   and attorney fees.

   (h) Definitions.As used in this section, the following words and
   phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

   "Service." Includes, but is not limited to, labor, professional
   service, transportation service, the supplying of hotel
   accommodations, restaurant services, entertainment, cable television
   service, the supplying of equipment for use, and the supplying of
   commodities of a public utility nature such as gas, electricity, steam
   and water, and telephone or telecommunication service. The term
   "unauthorized" means that payment of full compensation for service has
   been avoided, or has been sought to be avoided, without the consent of
   the supplier of the service.

   "Telephone service" or "telecommunication service." Includes, but is
   not limited to, any service provided for a charge or compensation to
   facilitate the origination, transmission, emission or reception of
   signs, signals, data, writings, images and sounds or intelligence of
   any nature by telephone, including cellular telephones, wire, radio,
   electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photooptical system.

   "Telecommunication service provider." A person or entity providing
   telecommunication service, including, but not limited to, a cellular,
   paging or other wireless communications company or other person or
   entity which, for a fee, supplies the facility, cell site, mobile
   telephone switching office or other equipment or telecommunication
   service.

   "Unlawful telecommunication device." Any electronic serial number,
   mobile identification number, personal identification number or any
   telecommunication device that is capable, or has been altered,
   modified, programmed or reprogrammed alone or in conjunction with
   another access device or other equipment so as to be capable, of
   acquiring or facilitating the acquisition of a telecommunication
   service without the consent of the telecommunication service provider.
   The term includes, but is not limited to, phones altered to obtain
   service without the consent of the telecommunication service provider,
   tumbler phones, counterfeit or clone phones, tumbler microchips,
   counterfeit or clone microchips, scanning receivers of wireless
   telecommunication service of a telecommunication service provider and
   other instruments capable of disguising their identity or location or
   of gaining access to a communications system operated by a
   telecommunication service provider.

   Section 2. This act shall take effect in 60 days.

Thread