1995-10-26 - Re: Welcome to cypherpunks

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 473fad9cf36e9669e1c741eab7ee219bbf620ee44ec38eede95454967295c5e5
Message ID: <acb4fc6a06021004fab7@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 03:50:35 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 03:50:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Welcome to cypherpunks

At 3:16 PM 10/26/95, Steven Weller wrote:

>Well, the Welcome message says this:

Actually, not "the" Welcome message, but a particular instance of it,
namely, the instance directed at the new subscriber (in this case,
cypherpunks@toad.com was the new subscriber).

>->If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list,
>->you can send mail to "Majordomo@toad.com" with the following command
>->in the body of your email message:
>->
>->    unsubscribe cypherpunks cypherpunks@toad.com
>
>So it is but a small leap of logic to remove the 'un' in order to
>subscribe, since to my knowlege the Welcome message does not tell you how
>to subscribe. A human interface problem?

Except that the list would _have_ to have been subscribed to itself
_before_ that particular Welcome message would have gone out.

Sort of a binding issue. I would prefer the Welcome message to always say
the command is:

     unsubscribe cypherpunks yournamehere

and

     subscribe cypherpunks yournamehere

But this is presumably a Majordomo feature. In any case, let's hope
subscribing the list to itself is not a trend.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.