1995-10-23 - Chaum’s cash: backup?

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8b7452de7ce6434d4b3140ed5a8a902c01e7a6bc0ed9b41f77efe1a03d20e82f
Message ID: <199510230504.WAA22965@netcom18.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Oct 95 22:06:17 PDT

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 95 22:06:17 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Chaum's cash: backup?

(I congratulate Chaum on his ecash trial. this is a milestone.)

the recent Chaum press release and information says that cash is
"downloaded" to your local computer.

here is my question: of course, I'm sure they have some kind of
a backup system. would someone care to comment on it?

say I download $1000 to my hard drive and it crashes. what to do?

if it was like "real" cash, then it really would be lost.

if it wasn't like real cash, and the bank was actually tracking
it, then they could determine whether it had been "spent" so far
or prohibit someone from "cashing it in" like a hold on a check.

Thread