1995-10-27 - Re: CJR returned to sender

Header Data

From: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
To: stripes@va.pubnix.com
Message Hash: b4bc0098975ab6ba2a1d6bb3ee2ff899407f385618d20ccf48a95276c06e97dd
Message ID: <10401.9510271935@exe.dcs.exeter.ac.uk>
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:23:21 +0800

Raw message

From: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:23:21 +0800
To: stripes@va.pubnix.com
Subject: Re: CJR returned to sender

Josh Osborne <stripes@va.pubnix.com> writes on cpunks:
> [...]
>
> (Also we may find a better quality shirt printer and actually be
> able to print readably not only CODE128 barcodes, but some of the
> more advanced encoding methods that store as much as 40K a page...
> how big is the PGP source?)

Well the DOS PGP.EXE binary should do (no need for source, as it is
uses keysizes greater than allowed by ITAR already, so ability to
increase key sizes is not required for ITAR applicability).  It's 94k
pkzipped.  Front and back print on a T-shirt would give you 80k.  You
could probably tweak something to get it on a shirt.  Dunno if it
would read printed on a shirt.

It would be fun to see what it looked like a sheet of paper tho'.

Anyone happen to have code to do some of these 2d barcoding things?
Or are they all proprietry?

> >If the CJR for the t-shirt is ultimately denied, ditto?
>
> That would be much better.  More free publicity.  An example of how
> impossabble it is to enforce the ITAR that anyone should be able to
> understand.

Yeah, I think that would be good anti-ITAR publicity.

> >The t-shirt joke is unlikely to help. (For all those who commented that
> >wearing the munitions shirt is rilly, rilly kool, I say "Great!" Wear it in
> >the mosh pits, just lie to people about how the t-shirt "has been
> >classified as a munition." It hasn't been as of this writing.)
>
> [...]
>
> (and yeah it is a shame the shirt actually says "has been classified",
> I had thought I said "qualifyes as a" which would have been correct -
> but that may just be my revisionest memory kicking in)

The wording on the shirts are: "...is a munition" and "...is
classified as a muntion".  Is that what you meant, that "this shirt is
a muntion" is misleading?

The "has been classified" was wording that Don Henson used in his
earlier ads, but did not appear on any of the shirts (AFAIK).

Joel Furr's shirt says:

 THIS SHIRT IS A MUNITION

Don Henson's says:

     WARNING
    THIS SHIRT
       IS A
     MUNITION

My shirts say:

                WARNING
THIS SHIRT IS CLASSIFIED AS A MUNITION AND
   MAY NOT BE EXPORTED FROM THE UNITED
  STATES, OR SHOWN TO A FOREIGN NATIONAL

I think Raph sent them one of Joel's, so it says "this is shirt is a
munition", rather than "...has been classified...".  Perhaps some
people think that this too is inaccurate?

Adam
--
#!/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL
$m=unpack(H.$w,$m."\0"x$w),$_=`echo "16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%Sa

Munitions T-shirts: http://www.obscura.com/~shirt/

Thread