1995-10-15 - Re: Int’l Money Laundering, Part the Second

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b57ce5076cf47f3a987b01d2535d4ae6ad65cc7762a8a2fbd541906b92f609a0
Message ID: <199510151610.JAA02950@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Oct 95 09:10:34 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 95 09:10:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Int'l Money Laundering, Part the Second

At 07:31 PM 10/10/95 -0800, Douglas Barnes wrote:
> When you combine these elements, you get a strategy that
> permits the US government to confiscate worldwide correspondent
> accounts of banks, even if they don't have a US presence.

This is doubtless one of the reasons why the US$ is rapidly losing
its place as the preferred currency for international transactions.

>  acceptance of US-dollar negotiable instruments by a bank anywhere
>  in the world outside of the US renders the bank susceptible
>  to US criminal jurisdiction in the money laundering field.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread