1995-10-19 - Re: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal

Header Data

From: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
To: David Neal <dneal@electrotex.com>
Message Hash: bbe5fc8a167abe85a9cc216e05c05e6f17959c4718569885dd9e6ce5a284c73b
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9510182023.B109863-0100000@aix2.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <199510182357.SAA05686@etex.electrotex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-19 00:19:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 17:19:39 PDT

Raw message

From: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 17:19:39 PDT
To: David Neal <dneal@electrotex.com>
Subject: Re: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, David Neal wrote:

> YIKES!   Think again.  Many of the *.test newsgroups have auto-responders
> that remail the poster assuring them their post was received.  This feature
> is used to make sure your newsfeed is working.

Yeah, but you can turn them off by having "Test" in your header. I
disovered this after getting my mailbox filled with those bloody
auto-responses. It isn't really important since you're posting your file
encrypted a second time in the first remailer's key, so the received file
will bear no resemblance to the original.

And as far as wasting a lot of bandwidth is concerned, it would never be worse
than the alt.binaries newsgroups.

Thread