1995-10-30 - Re: Digicash will not fly (not)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cedf031887bdce1f992b8382dc4c27486c61a68bebd117b9bf2818fa2d6dbe23
Message ID: <acb9bb9700021004f83d@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:30:30 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:30:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Digicash will not fly (not)

At 5:41 AM 10/30/95, M. F. (Pat wrote:
>"James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com wrote:
>>While Chaum is a brilliant cryptographer, he is an incompetent businessman
>>
>>He has demonstrated this in numerous ways.
>>
>>The latest being "Cash" where the bank skims off 4% to 10% every time.
>>
>>No one is going to use digicash under these kinds of terms and
>>conditions.
>

>Doesn't just about everyone do precisely this when they pay sales tax?
>Every time a buck arrives or departs a hand one pays a tax yet the system
>(you and I)continues accepting these terms albeit painfully.

Many types of business dealings are exempt from sales tax, through
arrangements for resales.

I don't know if the "skims off 4% to 10% every time" point accurately
describes how the current Digicash model works, but certainly this will not
fly as a long term rate. So many monetary transactions happen in the course
of business that even a 4% fee _per transaction_ would rapidly wipe out
most of the value.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.