1995-10-06 - Re: Graphic encryption

Header Data

From: “Rev. Mark Grant” <mark@unicorn.com>
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: df7cbd58e6eb41158c37975a3cb2c985c508b0dc8cb5c3c61a3237ae657c2843
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9510061737.A25324-0100000@unicorn.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 09:35:14 PDT

Raw message

From: "Rev. Mark Grant" <mark@unicorn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 09:35:14 PDT
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Graphic encryption

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Lucky Green wrote:

>And by the way, "proprietary" algorithms are generally junk and should not
>be relied upon by security concious individuals and businesses. Only
>algorithms that have undergone extensive peer review should be considered
>for use.

It's OK, when these guys were spamming Usenet a few weeks ago with their
product announcement (admittedly, they did at least keep it to comp
groups) they said it was export-approved. Therefore, it can be pretty
much written off from a security standpoint - it's at best as good as
40-bit RC4, and I sure wouldn't use that for secure communications.

I'd still like to know how it works so we can see just how insecure it
is, though.

	Mark

Thread