1995-10-02 - Re: Europe

Header Data

From: banisar@epic.org (Dave Banisar)
To: Mats Bergstrom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e40bb496afbefe222f880792b8ac56fae6857f2e506042c57ec637a14aa7ee5c
Message ID: <v02130501ac94e5d19a74@[205.177.25.31]>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 17:55:22 PDT

Raw message

From: banisar@epic.org (Dave Banisar)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 17:55:22 PDT
To: Mats Bergstrom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Europe

At 6:45 PM 10/1/95, Mats Bergstrom wrote:
>Perry M. wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if the Europeans had an equivalent of EPIC or EFF
>> lobbying against crypto restrictions there, given the disturbing news
>> a week or so ago.

There are a few groups in Europe (Privacy International is based in UK,
Argedaten in Austria, CLI in Spain, misc EF-X) but none of them are as
organized as their US counterparts. However, there are also Privacy
Commissions in every country who are also friends to the battle. There was
quite a bit of discussion at their last meeting in Copenhagen last month on
crypto and the Denmark and Ontario, CA Privacy Commissions just came out
with a joint report on crpyto that we are working on scanning in and making
available on our web page.

Dave

David Banisar (Banisar@epic.org)             * 202-544-9240 (tel)
Electronic Privacy Information Center      * 202-547-5482 (fax)
666 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, Suite 301       * HTTP://www.epic.org
Washington, DC 20003                              * ftp/gopher/wais cpsr.org

Thread