1995-10-27 - Re: CJR returned to sender

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e44f387bf576a338167a46260d3a44deb839eac5d67a32183a46872326036c52
Message ID: <acb5766d09021004a512@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:45:47 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:45:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CJR returned to sender

At 4:43 PM 10/26/95, Jeff Weinstein wrote:

>  The ITARs are currently keeping us(Netscape) from distributing
>our US-only products to people within the United States.  We have
>asked for clarification from the government about network distribution,
>such as how much verification of location and citizenship of the
>recipient we must do, and have yet to receive a response.  That
>makes it more than just an export issue, at least for us.

And I agree that this is a much more important issue than whether a t-shirt
can get an OK for export or not.

If the CJR for the t-shirt is ultimately granted, what useful information
will be derived, or what implications for Netscape's question will be
discovered?

If the CJR for the t-shirt is ultimately denied, ditto?

Distribution over networks--which is happening every day, and which is
happening every time the Cypherpunks list contains code fragments and other
useful comments on crypto tools--is a much more serious issue.

The t-shirt joke is unlikely to help. (For all those who commented that
wearing the munitions shirt is rilly, rilly kool, I say "Great!" Wear it in
the mosh pits, just lie to people about how the t-shirt "has been
classified as a munition." It hasn't been as of this writing.)

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.