1995-10-09 - Re: PC disk wipe software

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ee648bdcc69a33a6113d0f12650919a37fa72e3f229a61051b38ae5a067b979a
Message ID: <v02120d3bac9ef9fd157c@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 09:24:11 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 09:24:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PC disk wipe software

>PC Tools has a wipe program that will either wipe individual files, or
>wipe all unallocated diskspace. It also allows you to choose the level
>of wipe (single overwrite, multiple, etc).

There has been considerable discussion on the MCIP list about how most
*Mac* programs that purport to do this, like Burn, for example, leave stuff
over in disk blocks. My understanding is that this is not a trivial
problem, and it occurs in MUSH-DOS as well....

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell

Thread