1995-10-10 - Re: PC disk wipe software

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f60c4886e3974227b5bd6fc6c8d152d7819512a154c8dd76c5ebe55352d98f35
Message ID: <199510100557.WAA10779@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 22:57:23 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 22:57:23 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PC disk wipe software

At 12:24 PM 10/9/95 -0400, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>There has been considerable discussion on the MCIP list about how most
>*Mac* programs that purport to do this, like Burn, for example, leave stuff
>over in disk blocks. My understanding is that this is not a trivial
>problem, and it occurs in MUSH-DOS as well....

I wrote the disk wipe program in PC Tools.  It really no kidding
wipes stuff.

The only way they can recover the data is if they take a scanning tunneling
microscope the disk platter, and even then they could only recover small
random fragments.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com