1995-10-23 - (Fwd) DIGITAL CASH IN AN ELECTRONIC WORLD -Reply

Header Data

From: Kawika Daguio <KDAGUIO@aba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fb0b96f14d8d519b874a1f259ca2132d0bae331631ce1797284f36e14e2295e1
Message ID: <s08bd782.015@aba.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 14:56:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Kawika Daguio <KDAGUIO@aba.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 14:56:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) DIGITAL CASH IN AN ELECTRONIC WORLD -Reply

Sir,

I am still lurking on the Information Railroad(TM)
I am still trying to preserve privacy while maintaining
accountability for all parties.  Technical solutions are
insufficient, no matter how innovative.

My greatest problem today is the lack of sophistication of
decisionmakers.  Very few people understand the technology,
economics, and politics of electronic commerce.  Keeping governments
from making the wrong decisions is difficult.  Keeping bankers from
doing the same is even more difficult.  Most of the discussion occurs
between bank marketing and R&D types.  Compliance, operations,
security, risk management, and legal counsel units within banks are
often uninformed about the efforts of the technology delivery groups.

It is also difficult to offer financial services to the new world.
It is not easy to "know your customer," evaluate risks, and price the
risks when you cannot verify their identity or reach them easily.
Bankers prefer orderly environments to anarchy.  So do governments.

      ****Extremely Personal Observation*****
So do I.  I like privacy, I do not need true anonymity nor do I wish
to engage in significant interaction or be exposed to anonymous
persons.
IF SOMEONE WEARING A HOOD OR A MASK COMES TO MY DOOR
THEY WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY VIEWED AS AN IMMEDIATE THREAT.
I may classify non-anonymous persons as threats after evaluating
available information.  Banks and governments will similarly look
askance at those who wish to wear masks when engaging in commerce.

Respectfully,
Kawika Daguio

THE ABOVE ARE MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS
NO ONE IN SHOULD ATTRIBUTE THE SENTIMENTS
EXPRESSED TO THE ASSOCIATION OR OUR MEMBERS.

>>> Timothy C. May <tcmay@got.net>  10/22/95, 11:19pm >>>

I saw this on the Cyberia list. Those of you near Washington, D.C.
may find this worth attending.

By the way, one of the speakers, Kawika Daguio, was once on this list
(and may still be, though I haven't seen posts from him in a while).

--Tim May

>Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 17:04:32 -0400
>Sender: cyberia-l@warthog.cc.wm.edu
>From: "Cleveland Thornton" <thornton@legalbits.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cyberia-l@warthog.cc.wm.edu>
>Subject: (Fwd) DIGITAL CASH IN AN ELECTRONIC WORLD
Kotsikonas

>For those in the Washington, DC area, you may find the following
>meeting of interest,

Thread