1995-10-24 - Re: [reformatted] how secure can privasoft be?

Header Data

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ff5cfb03f603b4df47e1ddeeea58d00854e40fe20cbcb699512dfa089a6f96ee
Message ID: <9510241500.AA07290@cantina.verity.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 08:04:04 PDT

Raw message

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 08:04:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [reformatted] how secure can privasoft be?

> > > This can at most buy you a constant factor - useful, but not very.
> > Someone else on this list mentioned that an edge detection algorithm
> > It could give you a quick go/no go.
>
> Don't forget that in most cases it'll be obvious that it's the wrong
> key - only when it isn't would you submit the thing to a second-level
> analyzer to check for edges/characters etc.

I'm confused here.  How will it be obvious?  Unless you mean that you're
going to sit there and watch it while it goes through the, (on average),
999999999/2 keys it would have to try before finding it.  That could
take awhile and really slow things down if it took user intervention
for each test.  You can't beat the human eye on visual discrimination
though.

Patrick
  /  These opinions are mine, and not Verity's (except by coincidence;).  \
 |  Patrick J. Horgan         Verity Inc.                 \\    Have       |
 |  patrick@verity.com        1550 Plymouth Street         \\  _ Sword     |
 |  Phone : (415)960-7600     Mountain View                 \\/    Will    |
 |  FAX   : (415)960-7750     California 94303             _/\\     Travel |

Thread