1995-11-16 - -No Subject-

Header Data

From: Andrew Barrett/CheckFree Corporation <Andrew_Barrett@checkfree.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 084e90d735fbb646de33f03ef9cfcfc761b880c72b91f45e03fcf4995c3fb3ed
Message ID: <9511161654.AA0590@6thstreetcheckfree.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:04:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Barrett/CheckFree Corporation <Andrew_Barrett@checkfree.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:04:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: -No Subject-

Over 2000 years ago, Nostradamus predicted that on Tuesday November 14, 1995,
Phil would say:

><...>Or at least there is a requirement for the
>assistant to enter the extra four digits in certain cases. The precise
>nature of the circumstance when they are required to be card present I
>am not sure (in fact I would bet they vary).

I'm betting your bet is right. When you set up your persona/nym for use with
the CheckFree wallet, the software does ask for those four, non-embossed
numbers on the Amex card - which I had never really noticed 'til then. And I
frequently pass the amex number on the phone for business stuff.

Just last week, I had flowers sent to some partners of ours that we had just
completed a deal with (sorry...should have odered them over the net), and the 4
"flat" numbers were not required.

Hmmmm ....

Thread