1995-11-04 - Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: James Black <black@eng.usf.edu>
Message Hash: 103fc17558d2af6dc0fbbb0a4ba83a72bd11af79eeccc0a25a1c49cbe84576ab
Message ID: <199511042157.NAA09158@ihtfp.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951104155911.2413A-100000@fourier>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-04 22:10:51 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 06:10:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 06:10:51 +0800
To: James Black <black@eng.usf.edu>
Subject: Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

Well, MIT does make PGP available to any and all students and staff!
The opinion I've heard is that if the US gov't doesn't want an
international student at MIT to use the code, they should keep that
student from coming to the US.  By allowing the student into the US,
the gov't is implicitly giving them the right to use PGP within the
US.

It is still illegal for them to export it, however any foreign
national can walk up to any computer store and by anything they wish,
and take it on the plane with them.  Therefore, in an institution of
higher learning, the same standards should be allowed.  If the
government does not want your student to have access to possibly
"dangerous" information, then they should not be allowed into the
country at all.

Therefore, I say just make PGP available to your students.

-derek

Thread